Monday 15 August 2016

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child Brief Review - book (spoilers)

So what did everyone think of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (book/script)? I have heard many mixed reviews and feelings - I personally started off a bit sceptical because I wasn't sure how I was going to find the script style or if I was going to even be able to get into it because it was different characters. However it actually turned out to be ok, the one thing I really had an issue with to a point where I almost put the book down was when it time travelled three years in the space of like 2 or 3 pages. I can appreciate that it was written for the stage and so it could look quite affective with a rotating stage divided up into three sections but from a readers perspective it really threw me. After being introduced to Scorpius Malfoy did anyone else google what they all looked like in 19yrs later scene from the last film in order to truly visualise the characters in their head?



I half suspected something was suspicious about Delphi when we first met her at the top of the stairs in the Potters house however I never would have said she was Voldemort's daughter. I loved the plot of the play I just wish it could have been longer and...well to be blunt...a book in the same style as JK's previous Harry Potter's. I just missed the descriptive pieces and I feel that it lost a large part of the magical feeling. My favourite scene, that I have heard others call to be too cliche was the scene where Harry is at Godricks Hollow again where he witnesses his parents death...I don't get emotional over books but I couldn't stop my emotions on this one. It was the one scene where I felt it did still carry enough description in the stage directions that I really felt for Harry and could visualise the scene really clearly in my head.

So to summarise it there, I really enjoyed the book to a point where I read the entire thing in a week - sounds like a long time in comparison to some but this is baring in mind I work 8 - 10 hours a day because of 2 jobs whilst trying to re-decorate/organise my room. And although I went into reading it with low expectations I was pleasantly surprised yet I just wish it could have been longer! Even my sister who doesn't enjoy reading at all started to read it, got to page 43 to then decide she really liked it so I would definitely recommend it to anyone that has read/seen the previous Harry Potter stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment